Corporate Impact Analysis Tool
Tool to help banks and investors understand the actual and potential impacts of their clients and investee companies, as part of their impact management strategies and processes.
Use this resource to:
- Set and revise objectives: Financial institutions can use the tool to co-define relevant and meaningful objectives for their clients and/or investee companies. It provides an impact analysis and management workflow that starts from the identification of impact associations and needs, facilitates the collection and assessment of impact performance data, and accordingly enables an action plan and specific objectives to be set and monitored over time.
- Identify sustainability topics: Use the tool to identify impact areas and topics (economic, environmental and social) associated with corporate clients and/or investee companies, based on an objective review (cartography) of the company’s sectoral and geographic breakdown. The tool contains collated research on the association between sectors (ISIC – International Standard Industrial classification) and 22 Impact Areas that cover all the SDGs, as well as a framework to enable a contextualisation of impact associations vis-à-vis the impact needs present in the company’s country(ies) of operation.
- Measure sustainability performance: Use the Indicator Library embedded within the tool to review existing metrics for impact measurement. UNEP-FI has collated metrics from reporting standards and frameworks (GRI, SASB, CDP, TCFD), impact investor and development bank resources (IRIS+ and HIPSO), government taxonomies (EU Adaptation and Mitigation Taxonomies) and other sources to support indicator selection and interoperability between frameworks. This indicator library primarily supports use of the tool, but is also a useful standalone resource.
For investors and financial institutions
Use this resource to:
- Identify: Understand the impact areas and topics associated with a corporate client/investee based on company type, sector and context; identify the company’s most significant impact areas.
- Assess: Assess the company’s current practice and performance vis-à-vis its most significant impact areas, by combining the tool’s ‘identification’ outputs with additional data; determine the company’s overall ‘impact status’ as a basis for engagement.